Blog is updated every Monday.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Truth vs. Fiction

Life is bizarre. As a kid, I never really understood the expression "truth is stranger than fiction," but now it feels like I'm living through that saying every day.

Just what is fiction, exactly? Is it really just something that comes out of our heads, without outside assistance, or is there a deeper, stranger answer to that question? What if, when we daydream, we are actually viewing another sphere of existence? When I'm writing, is it really my brain generating these characters, who all seem very real and human to me? Or am I only watching them, and describing what I see? I'm of the opinion that it's the latter, but there is really no way to either prove or disprove it.

If certain writers really do only document what they witness, why are some people chosen for this gift and not others? I suspect that it may be for the same reason why we all have different talents in general, but is there a reason I'm not aware of? Something shielded from human view?

And if I didn't create the characters I'm writing about, who did? What kind of being has the brainpower to come up with such human complexities? How do I share this being's thoughts? Is this person the same one as my own Creator?

Strangest question: Is our fiction someone else's reality?

Is there a way to know for sure?



No comments:

Post a Comment