I Was That Weird Homeschooler (And Why I'm Grateful)

There is a lot of stigma about children who are taught at home. And I mean a lot. In the media, it seems to be generally excepted that homeschooled children are undereducated, lazy, and socially awkward. Where these stereotypes came from, I don't know, but I can tell you that for most children who were taught at home, these assumptions are completely untrue. It really bothers me when these unfair assumptions make their rounds on the internet. It seems that there are many people who believe that parents who teach their children themselves are somehow doing these kids a disservice.

Let me spell something out for you: children who are taught at home generally are well-educated. They are passionate about their work. And they tend to be more socialized than most people seem to expect. In spite of the fact that home is typically where the books are opened and worksheets are filled out, homeschoolers, do, in fact, get out of the house. And many learn to get along with people of all ages, including children much younger and adults.

All that said, I admit that I was, in fact, socially awkward. And in many ways, I still am. This may be an irrational insecurity, but I sometimes feel that people look at me and think it's because I grew up homeschooled. But that really isn't the entire story. It's only one tiny little piece.

You see, when I was thirteen through fifteenish, it seemed to me like all the other girls my age cared about was One Direction, Justin Bieber, and school drama. Apparently, my refusal to care about such things was like a social death wish. Whenever they happened to talk about fads and drama and all that other stuff that I never learned to appreciate, I ignored them. And whenever I happened to talk about the stuff I liked - books and animals and craft projects - they usually ignored me too. And sometimes we even argued. I didn't fit in because I came from a completely different mental place, and I would not pretend to be someone I wasn't. They didn't understand me because they weren't used to dealing with kids who happened to be so different. Had I gone to school with them, I'm sure I would have learned how to say and do whatever it took to keep myself from sticking out. I'm pretty sensitive, and I can't stand it when someone doesn't like me. As it happened for me, I didn't understand where these girls were coming from. And so I separated myself from them as much as I could.

I guess that in a way, my social awkwardness was homeschooling's fault. But I genuinely and honestly feel that I've gained so much more than what I lost. I know for an absolute fact that I would have been just as weird on the inside, regardless of whatever social skills I did or didn't pick up. The difference is that if I had gone to a more traditional setting for my education and gotten bullied, even a little, I would have closed off and hidden my quirks from the world. I would have pretended anything it took to get other kids to accept me, and maybe I would have even forgotten what I really wanted along the way. And I'm almost certain that if I had learned how to play those games, I wouldn't be where I am in my life right now. I'm odd, but I'm also one of the most creative, unconventional, and smart people you will ever meet. In spite of my many insecurities, I like the person I grew up to be, and can't picture myself being any other way.

I admit that due to my teenaged lone wolf stage, I have a little bit of catching up to do on my social skills now. And I admit that sometimes it hurts me to think of what I may have missed during those years.

But I wouldn't trade any of it. And in spite of my past mistakes, I'm really looking forward to seeing what's ahead of me.